Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Doctor My Eyes

Day Two:  Jackson Browne

Rolling Stone gave him mention as having "mind-boggling melodies" and was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

48 years after his start and people still know his songs by heart.

Jackson Browne.

"Take It Easy," made famous by the Eagles, was written by Browne and Glenn Frey in '72.  "Well I'm a-standin' on the corner in Winslow, Arizona / With such a fine sight to see / It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford / Slowin' down to take a look at me."  I can picture that.  Usually lyrics tend to just place a related image in my mind, but I actually see that happening and I can feel the heat of the Arizona air.

One of Jackson Browne's biggest hits ever was "Running on Empty" from the live album Running on Empty.  He uses repetition throughout the song to help grab the listener's attention even more.  Verse one has, "In sixty-five I was seventeen and running up one-on-one / I don't know where I'm running now, I'm just running on."  Verse two, "In sixty-nine I was twenty-one and I called the road my own / I don't know when that road turned onto the road I'm on."

His music career.  That's what he brings up here.  '65 he was seventeen.  He's moving on with a career, but he's moving until he gets somewhere, doesn't matter where, just somewhere.  '69 is when he has turned 21.  All of a sudden, he's a big shot.  He's thinking to himself, Wh-when did this amazing opportunity happen?  How did this amazing opportunity happen?  But I don't care, I'm going to continue to run with it.

"If it takes all night, that'll be all right / If I can get you to smile before I leave."  The audience!  Whether he has to perform two songs or 27, he doesn't care, as long as his music makes you happy.

The goal of a comedian is to make you laugh.  The goal of Jackson Browne is to make you happy...and he has achieved that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment